My name is Peter Bui, and I'm a ruby contractor in the San Francisco Bay Area.
handy_form is a Rails form builder. It makes creating labels, hints, and validation errors easier and with less code.
Senior Software Engineer at New Relic San Francisco, CA May 2010 - October 2010
- Developed tests using Cucumber to verify and refactor the billing system.
- Facilitated RPM account management with company's partners
Software Engineer at Affinity Labs/Monster.com San Francisco, CA October 2007 - April 2010
- Scaled the company's advertisement system with Redis to handle all interstitial advertisement displays on monster.com
- Developed modularized widget system to allow users to customize web pages without knowledge of HTML or CSS
- Designed and implemented a multi-page, sign up flow to allow the marketing team to customize lead-gen sign up process -- previously, the sign up process consisted of a static four page flow with no user customizations
- Led interface redesign of lead-gen application to ease management of company's 100+ lead-gen sites
Software Engineering Manager/Lead Software Engineer at Sparkart, LLC Emeryville, CA February 2007 - October 2007
- Evolved engineering process by involving upper management in weekly iteration meetings -- this allowed management to understand scope as well as help them properly plan around engineering releases
- Led the transformation of the current application into a REST based web service for internal application use
- Built a basic data warehousing application with Rails to analyze fan club sales data
Software Engineer at Sparkart, LLC Emeryville, CA August 2005 - January 2007
- Led legacy application rewrite with Ruby on Rails
- Introduced test driven development, unit testing, and code refactoring to reduce defects
- Enhanced Rails' test fixtures to allow them to load in multiple databases
- Developed a Rails MySQL proxy adapter to split write and read queries to master and slave database servers, respectively
- Helped the engineering manager develop a feature tracking system to reduce 2-3 month release cycles down to one month and allowed long term planning for Sparkart's executive team -- (think of a primitive Pivotal Tracker application)
- Created application deployment scripts to manage 15+ servers (application/database/asset servers)
- Introduced pair programming into the software engineering process to encourage peer review and higher quality code
University of Texas at Austin
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, 2005